On 3/30/2014 9:44 AM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> The comments section is well worth reading, esp the long one from John:

Not.

"Initially, (in the early 1960?s) there were only two TM mantras, “Ram”
for males, and “Shiriram” for females. There are now around 16 of them,
as well as some “advanced” mantras, such as “shri shri aing namah
namah.” These mantras invoke the names of Hindu deities."

This is incorrect: the first two TM bija mantras were Ram and Shyam in
1955. Also, as I have pointed out numerous times, you only get one
single bija mantra when you learn TM or advanced TM. Bija mantras by
definition have no semantic meaning - the phrase "shri" and "namah" are
Sanskrit words, not bija mantras.

http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/tm

> The origin of the TM Bija mantras (seed sounds) are to be found in the
> so called “Hoda Chakra”

The TM bija mantras are first enumerated in the Sri Chakra, the symbol
of the Absolute in the Sri Vidya tradition and in the Trika of Kashmir
Tantrism. Apparently the Hoda Chakra was composed in the 18th century.
It has already been established that the origin of TM bija mantras is
the Sri Vidya tradition of Shankara at Sringeri, of which SBS was an
initiate.

Read more:

Auspicious Wisdom:
http://www.rwilliams.us/archives/srividya.htm