> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ingegerd"
> > <marwincornyarmand@> wrote:
> [...]
> > > When I learned TM (Deep Meditation) in 1962, by the first
> > meditation
> > > teacher in Norway, we learned to concentrate about the Mantra.
> Some
> > > years after - the instruction became "Don't concentrate", and
the
> > > checking points came out.
> > > Ingegerd
> > > >

> > Interesting, since even Hermit in My House, written in 1959,
talks
> > about the ease of meditation,IIRC.
> >

> Ihave the 1979 edition, not the original 1967 edition. The events
> described took place in1959, but the book wasn't written until 8
> years later. MMY's meditation is described as simple, and he is
> quoted as saying that one should think the mantra "as innocently as
> child" in the context of meaning.

More suggestions that MMY's lectures certainly *implied* that his
meditation technique was easy, again from the 1979 edition, but
allegedly quoting a 1959 lecture:

"We do not make an effort to get rid of darkness.
Only shine a bright light and the darkness goes by itself." --MMY,
1959, quoted in _Maharishi at 433_, p. 26

"Wandering isn't the nature of of the mind. The nature of the mind is
to settle down in bliss. It is natural for the mind to enjoy more.
Only it needs direction to find the right place. Only a matter of
turning within... to the Kingdom of Heaven within, as Lord Christ has
said." --ibid, p 37.

"...and the way is easy, quick, the jet age. No need to take a long
time. Only the right technique is needed." --ibid, p 38.

Appendix C is the transcript of an entire lecture by MMY at USC in
1959. Lots of references to modern TM teaching, such as turing the
mind inward to allow the mind to find fulfillment heading towards
bliss, rather than attempting to force it in  certain direction, etc.

If the teacher in 1962 used a word like "concentration" as
in "forced" to instruct in TM, obviously the translation was VERY bad
at that time since that goes against everything that I can find
documented about what MMY says about his technique in 1959.