--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <anonyff@> wrote:
> >
> > On TTC in Mallorca, Jan-June 1971, Brahmarishi Devarat and his son
> > (who looked like Tonto from the Lone Ranger) were often at meetings
> > and we would ask Devarat question after question and Maharishi was
> our
> > interpreter. My appeared to be having great fun in this job, he
> often
> > found Devarat's answers both funny and illuminating.
> >
> > Someone asked him this question-if there is anything we can say to
> > someone who is dying. As near as I can recall, he told us to say,
> in
> > the person's ear, *wok, wok, wok*   I believe it is actually
> spelled
> > vak and I also think I remember it is translated as *speech* or
> > *sound*   I cannot remember the reason for saying this.
> >
> > I know for me, having been in the presence of several people/pets
> at
> > the moment they made this transition out of life, I have done
> various
> > things, depending on what was in my heart/mind to do at this time.
> > Sometimes it was whispering the mantras I know (as a TM teacher,
> and
> > whether or not the person was a TM meditator), sometimes/in
> addition
> > it was the puja, or om namah shivaya.
> >
> > I would suggest to do something very personal and very meaningful
> > you at that time. I mean, who really knows. Does anyone think that
> you
> > can somehow help a person circumvent their personal karma just by
> > saying the right thing at their moment of death?
> >

> *****************
>
> The karma has a person has coming is ordinarily going to get to
> them, all the good and bad things, but funnily enough, it is the
> very last thought that a person has that determines his next birth,
> as told in many stories in the Vedic literature. So it doesn't make
> a great deal of difference if somebody gets eaten by a tiger, and
> his last thought is totally focused on that beast, causing one to be
> born as a tiger, because this, like any life, is only a temporary
> thing.
>

> But there is another possibility addressed in the Vedic literature,
> namely, that one can gain liberation by means of the last thought
> (like a thought of complete identification with Krishna or Vishnu),
> but this would likely only happen if a person was dedicated to
> seeking enlightenment in his lifetime already, and that last thought
> was a natural step

I have heard some teachers emphasize this theme -- that upon facing
death it will be hard to hold onto a particular thought if that is not
the habit of the mind. And thus the importance  of good habits,
keeping ones focus on the Divine -- or at least the positive -- and
not on sensory and other attractions. Sounds reasonable to me. Though
some will see this as mood-making and "inauthentic". But in "life"
(aka outside ofmeditaion), at periodic intervals, the intellect has a
choice -- put attention on this or that.

Ghandi, upon realizing he was being shot, said "Ram Ram" (Or similar).
 I remember someone commenting, "What presence of mind he must have
had to remember God when being shot." Which is the point -- its a
"habit" of the mind cultured over a lifetime. Then again, when
something drastic happens, many exclaim, "Oh My God!"

-- although there are also stories of people who,
> facing death, completely abandoned their lifelong ignorance and
> gained liberation in a short period before death.
>
> Our notions of what is fair fall apart when you realize that it's
> everybody's birthright to enjoy liberation, regardless of what one
> has done or not done,

In Vanarasi aka Kashi, Benares -- the City ofShiva -- its strongly
held that if you die there, Shiva gives liberation. Many Hindus move
there in old age.