--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very well said.
>
> Have you read Sam Harris' book, "End of Faith," or something like
> that? He says pretty much the same thing.

Not quite.

>From the recent interview with Harris in Salon.com:

S: One thing I find so fascinating about your book is that you're out
there as an atheist. And yet you also say life has a sacred
dimension. You talk about the value of spirituality and mystical
experiences. It's interesting that you put all that in the same pot.

H: Yeah, many atheists felt it should not have been in the same pot.
But I think it's necessary to just be honest. These are some of the
most beautiful and most profound experiences that human beings can
have. And therefore we're right to want to understand them and to
explore that landscape.

S: But it does raise the question, what do you mean by spiritual? And
what do you mean by mystical?

H: By spiritual and mystical -- I use them interchangeably -- I mean
any effort to understand and explore happiness and well-being itself
through deliberate uses of attention. Specifically, to break the
spell of discursive thought. We wake up each morning, and we're
chased out of bed by our thoughts, and then we think, think, think,
think all day long. And very few of us spend any significant amount
of time breaking that train of thought. Meditation is one technique
by which to do that. The sense that you are an ego, busy thinking,
disappears. And its disappearance is quite a relief.

S: Well, it's interesting to hear this description of mysticism
because I don't think that's how most people would see it. I mean,
most people would play up the more irrational side. Yes, you're
losing yourself, but you're plunged into some larger sea of oneness,
of perhaps transcendent presence. Obviously, you're staying away from
that whole supernatural way of thinking.

H: Well, it's very Buddhist of me to do that. The Buddhists tend to
talk in terms of what it's not. They talk about it being no self,
they talk in terms of emptiness. But the theistic traditions talk in
terms of what the experience is like. There, you get descriptions of
fullness and rapture and love and oneness. And to some degree, I've
had experiences that can be characterized that way. But there are
pitfalls in using that language. People tend to reify these states
and make metaphysics out of it. It's not like you learn about physics
by being a mystic.

S: I want to ask you about one sentence from your book "The End of
Faith." You say, "Whatever is true now should be discoverable now."
It sounds like you're putting inordinate faith in science. Are you
willing to acknowledge that there might be plenty of things we still
don't understand scientifically that could very well be true?

H: There's no scientist who would hesitate to acknowledge that. This
is one of the ironies of religious discourse. Religious people talk
in terms of their own humility and talk of the intellectual arrogance
of science, whereas the situation is totally reversed. Every
scientist worth his Ph.D. will admit that we have no idea how the
universe, or why the universe, came into existence. We have no idea
why there is everything rather than nothing. And most of what is
there to be discovered has not been discovered.

S: Let me mention one case in point. There is a wealth of
anthropological literature about sorcery in Africa and Latin America,
and there are plenty of personal testimonies about the power of
witchcraft. From the scientific world view, this looks like sheer
nonsense. Yet I'm wondering if it might be possible that science some
day will be able to explain what now seems supernatural.

H: Oh yeah, I think the only way to explain it is with a scientific
frame of mind. Now, scientists tend to be dogmatically opposed to
looking at this kind of phenomenon -- at telepathy, for instance,
because there's been so much fraud and wishful thinking. Science
generally has been eager to divest itself of the spookiness of this
area. But I think that kind of phenomenon is fascinating and worth
looking into. And it may be that minds have some effect upon the
physical world that we currently can't explain. But the way we will
explain it is scientifically.

http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/07/07/harris/index.html