> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> >
> > --- authfriend <jstein@> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> > > <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > How profound can the experiences be if the person
> > > having them is so bruised by a few negative comments
> > > that he feels he has to withdraw into silence?
> >
> > I take them at face value. Why would someone's
> > reactions to negative comments somehow negate or
> > diminish such experiences? How do we know said parties
> > are "bruised" and are wimpy-wimps because they
> > withdraw into silence. When someone characterizes your
> > experience as "sh*t" why would anyone speak about them
> > again? Sharing experiences is not a debate.
>
> The thing that astounds me is that some folks
> seem to feel that the personal experiences of
> others *have* to be responded to critically,
> or even negatively.

Who here "feels" this, Barry?

 Why? For me, for instance,
> I have *zero* instance in the sorts of things
> Rory was talking about; they don't map to my
> life at all.

Which was what the *single* "negative" reaction
here was pointing out: Rory's experience did not
map to the poster's own experience.

 But I perceive that they are *his*
> experiences, that *he* considers them valuable,
> and that he is unafraid enough of the negative
> reaction that he *knows* by now he's going to
> get here to share them.

Given the paucity of negative reaction, I would
certainly hope Rory was confident enough of the
authenticity of his experiences that it wouldn't
"drive him away into silence."

> That deserves a pat on the back and support
> from me, no matter how I feel about the content
> of what he's sharing.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: