> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> <snip>
> > The overwhelming reason we are  there today is to
> > create a democracy in a region that is traditionally
> > held by  dictators or absolute monarchies that have
> > a reason to suppress their people and  keep them
> > ignorant and in poverty so as to be able to maintain
> > their own  power.
>
> Actually, Iraq was quite prosperous until
> sanctions were imposed.  Poverty wasn't a
> big problem.  Iraq had made great strides
> in education as well under Saddam.

And his successes were slipping by the time he started the war with Iran. And
they went
down DRASTICALLY during that war. You don't need to evoke the demonic forces of
sanctions
to explain the failures of Saddam's Iraq--Saddam gaveth and he tooketh away all
on his own.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: