> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > The overwhelming reason we are  there today is to
> > > create a democracy in a region that is traditionally
> > > held by  dictators or absolute monarchies that have
> > > a reason to suppress their people and  keep them
> > > ignorant and in poverty so as to be able to maintain
> > > their own  power.
> >
> > Actually, Iraq was quite prosperous until
> > sanctions were imposed.  Poverty wasn't a
> > big problem.  Iraq had made great strides
> > in education as well under Saddam.
>
> And his successes were slipping by the time he started the war with
Iran. And they went
> down DRASTICALLY during that war. You don't need to evoke the
demonic forces of sanctions
> to explain the failures of Saddam's Iraq--Saddam gaveth and he
tooketh away all on his own.

That's true, the war with Iran drained the
economy.  But Saddam could have brought it
back if it weren't for the sanctions.

My point here is not that Saddam was a good
guy and should have been allowed to stay in
power indefinitely, but rather that
practically everything we did in deposing him
was a disaster, and the result has been that
things are vastly worse for the Iraqis now
than they were when he was running Iraq.

Given the situation as it has turned out, all
the reasons MDixon gave for "regime change"
are one big sick joke.  And it's not as if
the administration wasn't warned umpty times
over.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: