--- suziezuzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At what level of psychosis would you suggest that
> someone shouldn't
> meditate?

Any level of psychosis!

> And how do you define psychosis, what
> symptoms are
> manifesting in those you checked?

Delusions, hallucinations, loss of ego boundaries,
derealization, depersonalization, ideas of reference,
paranoia.

> know someone who always looks to their right when
> they eat as if
> someone is watching them. They also talk to
> themselves quite
> habitually as if another person is in the room.
> Would you initiate
> someone like this?

Probably not. They need to be assessed by a mental
health professional. These could all be symptoms of an
underlying psychological disorder.

> How do you judge at what level
> someone's psychosis
> becomes a hazard to the practice and that TM would
> make it worse?

Anyone who is psychotic should not start TM nor
continue with the practice. Psychosis is a general
term given to someone with symptoms that indicate a
loss of contact with object/consensual reality. They
present with hallucinations and delusions.

> On another note, what do you think psychosis is? Why
> and how does
> this behavior manifest itself? Do you think it's
> purely an organic
> defect that has some expression in the personality
> such as paranoia?

I think psychosis, for the most part, is an organic
brain disorder whose symptoms appear in the
psychological domain.

> Why does TM make it worse?

TM makes it worse because in psychosis a person's ego
structures are being over-whelmed. They are losing
their psychological constructs that allow them to
expereince and interact with the object/consensual
world. TM moves the mind towards greater and greater
levels of abstraction which overwhelms these mental
structures even more. Psychotic people can not even
experience ambiguous stimuli (something that does not
have clear, definite meaning) without becoming worse
in seconds. TM is not an effective intervention with
psychotics because it moving the attention in the
"wrong" direction. They need to move the attention
into boundaries, not away from them. I developed a
very effective intervention with psychotics during an
internship I had using what MMY had said during my TTC
regarding the breakdown of mind/body coordination in
schizophrenics. He said you could help schizophrenics
by hitting them with a flower and saying, "flower,
flower," everytime you hit them. This just sat in my
notes for years until I started working in the mental
health field with psychotics. I realized what MMY was
talking about with this intervention. So in groups I
used to pass objects around (e.g., cups, pencils,
books, etc) and each person had to hold the object and
state what their direct experience of the object was
at that moment. No associations, only their direct
experience. This, over time, had an amazing effect of
radically reducing hallucinations and delusions as
noted by myself and other staff members.

> Mark
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > In my tradition we don't teach anyone with a
> mental disorder.
> Instead
> > we have external healing techniques that can help.
> >
> > I can recall a few psychotics I checked that
> really shouldn't have
> been
> > doing TM.  I couldn't tell them that of course.
> >

> > Peter wrote:
> > > Yes, anixiety disorders, depressive disorders,
> but
> > > absolutely not psychosis, it only makes it
> worse, much
> > > worse.

> effective

> in