> On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:18 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

>>> Have you read "Love and God"? After all, it sounds like
>>> you already wrote your own version. ;-)
> >
> > Are you mocking him, by chance?
> >
> > My own belief, for what it is worth, is that any form of
> > "overwhelming" emotion is, by definition, a sign of not
> > being fully established in CC, but that doesn't denigrate
> > what he was feeling...

Yes, in fact it does, whereas Vaj's comment does not.

Sparaig is saying, in essence, that Marek could not
possibly have felt what he felt and been fully estab-
lished in CC. First, I don't think Marek has ever
suggested that he *is* fully established in CC, so
his comment is a non-sequitur to begin with, but even
if he had, this particular *idea* of what life in
enlightenment is like is IMO as baseless as many of
the other ideas *about* enlightenment he's spouted here.

> > On the other hand, YOUR comment certainly "feels" derogatory.

It didn't to me. I don't think Vaj meant it that way, either.

> Since I know quite well what I meant, we'll chock another
> one up to the "ear of the beholder." What an idiot.

Agreed.

As for sparaig's notion that one cannot experience
strong, even "overwhelming" emotion in enlightenment,
I'd suggest that's Just Another Idea *About* Enlight-
enment, formed from the point of view of non-enlight-
enment.

I suspect one can experience *any* emotion, strong or
otherwise, in enlightenment, because the emotion *is*
enlightenment, as is everything else the enlightened
being experiences. The Self need not be "overwhelmed"
to experience any part of what is, essentially, itSelf.
The histories of supposedly-enlightened saints in
almost all spiritual traditions (including Hinduism)
are *full* of stories of them displaying strong
emotions -- of bhakti or compassion or whatever.

Emotions come and go. That is their nature, and the
nature of having a body. Sparaig obviously expects
that nature to *change* once one realizes one's
enlightenment; I don't. Before enlightenment, chop
wood, carry water, and occasionally experience strong
emotions. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water,
and occasionally experience strong emotions.

Sparaig's view seems to me a belief that someone who
is not comfortable with strong emotions and who finds
them "overwhelming" might develop. So many of the ideas
that people have *about* enlightenment seem to me to be
based on their own fears and aversions, and the hope
that the things that inspire those fears and aversions
will no longer appear in one's life after one realizes
enlightenment. But they will. And we'll still have to
deal with them, just as we did before realization. In
this case, the issue is not the emotions but who
experiences them.