On Jan 17, 2007, at 7:17 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

As for sparaig's notion that one cannot experience
strong, even "overwhelming" emotion in enlightenment,
I'd suggest that's Just Another Idea *About* Enlight-
enment, formed from the point of view of non-enlight-
enment.

I suspect one can experience *any* emotion, strong or
otherwise, in enlightenment, because the emotion *is*
enlightenment, as is everything else the enlightened
being experiences. The Self need not be "overwhelmed"
to experience any part of what is, essentially, itSelf.
The histories of supposedly-enlightened saints in
almost all spiritual traditions (including Hinduism)
are *full* of stories of them displaying strong
emotions -- of bhakti or compassion or whatever.

Emotions come and go. That is their nature, and the
nature of having a body. Sparaig obviously expects
that nature to *change* once one realizes one's
enlightenment; I don't. Before enlightenment, chop
wood, carry water, and occasionally experience strong
emotions. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water,
and occasionally experience strong emotions.

Sparaig's view seems to me a belief that someone who
is not comfortable with strong emotions and who finds
them "overwhelming" might develop. So many of the ideas
that people have *about* enlightenment seem to me to be
based on their own fears and aversions, and the hope
that the things that inspire those fears and aversions
will no longer appear in one's life after one realizes
enlightenment. But they will. And we'll still have to
deal with them, just as we did before realization. In
this case, the issue is not the emotions but who
experiences them.

A quote I posted last night says it nicely:

51. All-consuming Openness

All and everything reverted to openness,
its nature is beyond denial or assertion;
just as all worlds and life-forms open into space,
so emotion and evaluating thought
melt into hyperspaciousness.
Now here, now gone in a flash—thoughts leave no trace,
and opened up wide to seamless gnosis
hopes and fears are no longer credible,
the stake that tethers the mind in its field is extracted,
and Samsara, the city of delusion, is evacuated.

Like clouds emerging in the sky and then dissolving therein, all
events originate in spaciousness and are finally released into the
same space. Upon such intuition, assertion and denial and all
emotion, all mental states and functions, return to the empty
holistic seed, original hyperspaciousness, and thus the entire
mentality of samsaric delusion dissolves into timeless purity. This
secret transmission implies living in the undivided openness of
intrinsic emptiness.