--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think the girls were pushed into this mess by powers
> greater than themselves to meet a political agenda.

That's my take on it as well. They were more
the victims of a political power play than they
were of Imus' words.

> If any of the girls were truly offended, it was appropriate
> for Imus to apologies to them, not to Al Sharpton and Jesse
> Jackson and grovel at their feet.

But that wouldn't serve the interests of the
political power play. Or the players.

> Yes, Imus said  something that most people would consider
> mean spirited, although I don't believe he intended it to
> be mean and hurtful and  he has been pounded for it and
> feels bad it was taken as it was, but NBC and CBS hired
> the guy to say these very things because his fans liked
> it and so did his sponsors until they were threatened
> with boycotts.

Looking at this situation from France, it appears
to me that the only "winners" in this whole scenario
are the corporations who really own the media. The
sponsors are clearly more than "sponsors." They have
the ability to control what the *content* is of the
shows they sponsor. In this case, they loved Imus'
language until it became politcally incorrect for
them to be associated with him. They get to act like
"good guys" for dumping Imus, but they started look-
ing for another Big Mouth With An Attitude to replace
him even before they made the announcement that he
was fired. They will continue sponsoring whatever Big
Mouth attracts the most listeners, the listeners will
hear the commercials for the corporations' products
and buy them, and the cycle will continue. The only
thing in the equation that will ever change is the
name and the schtick of the latest Big Mouth.

<snip>
> There are those that think the Clinton's are behind this
> because Imus hates Hillary and refers to her as the anti-
> Christ...

That's silly...nothing but rampant conspiracy
theory thinking. On Imus' part, that is. Hillary
isn't the Antichrist, I am.

:-)