<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone who responded to my question about our
> relationship to dead people like Jesus.  As I had hoped I
> was able to read some fascinating perspectives. Some really
> took the ball and ran into some complex worldview shifting
> perspectives, Turq, Marek, and Edg (special mention goes to
> Edg for the pantsless puja story which had me laughing.

Not to blow the whistle on geezerfreak or anything,
but he pulled a stunt once that still cracks me up
every time I remember it. He's an audiophile, the
definition of which seems to be "Someone who's not
happy with his $20,000 sound system; it's just not
'right' yet." And at the time I knew him, he had
this *enormous* collection of jazz vinyl records.
Records get dirty, and so he had not one turntable,
but two. One was to play the records, but before
you got to actually do that, there was the record
cleaning ritual.

He'd stand there and put the record on the record-
cleaning turntable and set it spinning. Then first
came the pass with the antistatic brush, followed
by squirting superspecial record-cleaning liquid
on the surface of the disk, followed by setting the
"tonearm" of the record-cleaning turntable in place
and letting it do its thing. Its "thing" was that it
was a tiny vacuum cleaner that moved across the
record and sucked up all the cleaning fluid, taking
any dirt and grit with it.

Suffice it to say that this ritual took a little time,
maybe 2-3 minutes per record side. And so I'm sitting
there on his sofa one night, waiting to see what won-
derful album he's going to play me next, and he's in
the middle of the ritual and notices me sitting there
impatiently, and he starts in with the puja. He raises
the antistatic brush above his head and chants "Apavitra
apavitro vam..." and I start cracking up. Then he takes
the record-cleaning fluid and waves it above the turn-
table in tiny circles, the way we would do with the
puja offerings. At this point I'm basically *dying*
of laughter, almost falling off the sofa.

I guess it's one of those "You had to have been there"
kinda things, but your reaction to Edg's tale reminded
me of it, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to
thank geezerfreak, belatedly, for a memory that has
made me laugh many, many times over the years.