--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of John Davis
> Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:02 AM
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Advice Sought
>

> Hi OffWorld,
>
> >> Moreover, when meditating I am in effect praying to a god not of
> >>my culture,
> >> and of whom I have no knowledge, which leaves me deeply
> >>uncomfortable.>>
>
> >Why are you afraid of Gods? You are human for chrise sakes !
> >Grow-up man.
>
> Afraid? No, that was not my meaning at all. But rather, seeing no
reason to
> believe in the existence of an anthropomorphic interventionalist
god or
> gods, the act of praying to one natrually leaves me feeling
uncomfortable,
> both as sitting uneasily with my own beliefs, and as being
potentially
> insulting to one who does believe.
>
> John
>
> Try thinking of gods not as they are depicted in Hindu mythology,
> but as higher, more fundamental or more comprehensive impulses of
> organizing intelligence. For instance, just as a liver cell might
> think of the entire liver as a god, or the liver might think of
> the entire body as a god, perhaps there are intelligent systems,
> conscious beings actually, who have a broader range of
> responsibility than we humans. They govern or coordinate
> the universe from a deeper or more comprehensive perspective.
> That's how I understand gods, as best as I can explain it. So I
> don't feel that I'm praying to or worshiping some dude with four
> arms and a lot of beads, rather that I'm attuning myself to a more
> cosmic expression of nature's intelligence, and thereby
> benefitting from that association.

"Conscious beings" is still too anthropomorphic
for me, although I can go along with the last
sentence here. I think of the "gods" as entirely
abstract fundamental governing principles, "laws of
nature" in TM-speak but operating at a far more
profound level than, say, the laws of physics--
more like pure math, at the "Fermat's Last Theorem"
level and beyond.

The explanation of the relationship between the
mantras TM uses and the Hindu deities that makes
the most sense to me is that the mantras *predate*
the deities. The mantras are fundamental vibrations
that actually structure our minds from right at
the "border" between mind and transcendent, mind
and pure consciousness. These mantras have existed
as long as human beings have existed; the
externalization and personification of these
impulses as deities was a later development.

When we "receive" the mantra from a TM teacher,
what's really happening, I believe, is that the
teacher is merely calling our attention to that
particular vibration already present in the mind,
but normally at such a subtle level that we don't
realize it's there because our much noisier
thought processes drown it out.

(This all applies just to the "bija" or "seed"
mantras used in TM, BTW.)

Obviously, the idea that when one entertains
the mantra one is "praying" to a deity would be
absurd in this formulation. The fact that Hinduism
associates the bija mantras with the dudes with
four arms and necklaces of skulls and so on is
of no relevance whatsoever to me as a non-Hindu.

As to the mantras having "meaning," that's a tricky
issue. When most people ask whether the mantras
have meaning, they're asking about *semantic*
meaning; that the mantras are "meaningless sounds"
is an entirely accurate response to that question.
They are not the "names" of deities either.

If by "meaning" you mean "significance," that's
quite different. But they don't "mean" the
deities; the mantras are not symbols of the
deities, the deities are symbols--gross forms--
of the mantras. If you were able to meditate
deeply enough on one of the deities, ultimately
you would arrive at the associated mantra.

Bottom line, I think the whole notion of TM
being "religious" or "a religion" is a big
fat red herring. You can certainly *make* a
religion out of it (and some do), but you can
also understand it on a much more abstract and
universal level. One isn't necessarily better
than the other; it's a matter of which is more
suitable to your individual temperament and
background.