> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
> <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:
<snip>
> > Yes Rick, Good People doing bad things, continuing to support
> > such an organization as it has become.
>
> And yet, is it our business to somehow convince
> them that this is what they're doing?
>
> I ask because one poster on this forum

(Note that again Barry finds himself unable to
utter my name.  Perhaps that's because a little
while back he vowed he was never going to read
any of my posts ever again.)

 suggested
> as much yesterday. The implication (possibly unin-
> tended) of the post was that if she encountered a
> friend who had come to believe something that she
> considered untrue or even insulting to certain
> minorities, she'd *have* to say something to set
> the person right and change his or her mind, to
> make (not stated, but definitely implied) some
> kind of stand for "the truth."

Actually, of course, I was posing a question.  Let's
have another look at what I wrote:

"The question is, what do you *do* (or not-do)
[when you encounter disagreement with what you
value]? Suppose you're chatting with a kid, say,
and she starts coming out with all kinds of
bigoted remarks about black people. Do you just
accept that she doesn't agree with your values?
What if a good friend surprises you with a tirade
against gay people?

"It's not quite so simple as saying, as 'some
people' here do, Well, that's your opinion. I
have a different opinion. No one opinion is
'better' than any other."

> If one feels that, doesn't that imply that they
> feel that they KNOW the truth?
>
> I can't speak for you, Doug, but I DON'T know the
> truth. About *anything*. All I have is opinions,
> which as far as I can tell based on past perform-
> ance (no scientific tests so far...sorry, Off),
> are sometimes accurate, and sometimes not.

Obviously, Barry's answer to my question is that
you should *not* challenge anybody's opinions,
because *you could be wrong*.

For Barry, nothing is more terrifying than the
possibility of being wrong. He avoids that danger
by never taking a stand, never committing to a
point of view.

It's one thing to be able to recognize that your
values don't necessarily represent The Truth.
That's a step toward maturity.

But there's a further step, which is to have
the cojones to stand up for what you believe
*even though you could be wrong*.