Judy, You understand the problems with the lack of evidence in the
assertion. I am disappointed to see your support for his taking a
personal shot at me in the context of a discussion of ideas.

Jim "> > However, someone had to revitalize the spiritual momentum of the
> > world. The religions weren't doing it. The fact that it is Maharishi
> > and Guru Dev doesn't matter much. It could have been anyone else.
> > Reality check: Its just that it wasn't, though Yogananda did a great
> > job of softening up the soil in the West so to speak."

Me: The belief that MMY is unique in the ability to "revitalize the
spiritual momentum of the world" by a member of his tiny group does
remind me of the people who believe that they out of all the people on
the planet have the spiritual specialness to go to heaven because of
their beliefs.  The mechanism of inflating personal specialness is
identical, only the content of the belief is different.   In each case
the person believes that they are intrinsically special due to their
beliefs and subjective experiences.  I am not misstating the claim, I
am disagreeing with it exactly as it was stated and comparing it to
another example of that type of assertion by similarly sincere
religious people.

By all means bring on the evidence for the claim of MMY "revitalizing
the spiritual momentum of the world" while Yogananda was merely
"softening the soil", Judy.

Neither your phrase, "grossly and insultingly misstated", nor

Judy:  "As Robert correctly noted, this is the type of
> deliberate, malicious distortion we see from
> people like Karl Rove; decent people are at a
> loss to find an explation for it."

take the place of evidence for the claim, and they don't distract me
from the lack of it.  But I would love to hear how "decent" people
might come to the conclusion that my pointing out the lack of evidence
 for the assertion makes "decent people" compelled to claim that my
sexual energy is misdirected, whatever that means. (nice  but slippery
touch dropping his misdirected sexual energy  charge, it made him seem
so much more "decent" while making a personal attack in response to a
discussion of religious beliefs.)

I was comparing the style of thinking with other sincere religious
people ( I was thinking of Catholics,  but many Christian sects
believe they will uniquely go to heaven, the "fundies" assumption was
your own invention)  Robert, and now you, are comparing my skepticism
to these claims and pointing out a similarity to other religious
people's beliefs to a reviled character in politics.  So unless you
feel that your belief in MMY's claims are so totally special that even
making a comparison to other religious people's beliefs is "grossly
and insultingly misstated", you can hold the faux outrage and the
phony "decent people" routine.

 Karl Rove!  Decent people! Misdirected sexual energy!  Oh my!