Just musings here, occasioned by receiving an
update blog from an old friend. As I remember,
some here may know him, because he was a TM
teacher, and then later he got into the Rama
thing, and then after that a succession of
gurus and teachers. Gurus and teachers are
really his *thing*; it's like he has an abso-
lute inability to go more than a month or two
without one in his life...at least he *hasn't*
gone more than a month or two without one in
his life for as long as I've known him.

And I really love the dude. Dakota (not his
real name but the one I used in my Road Trip
Mind stories) is *lovable*. He's just enthus-
iasm incarnate. And the nature of his sadhana
-- and the fact that it *succeeds* -- actually
is kinda inspiring. Dakota gets away with shit
that few of the rest of us get away with.

Like not working for a living. To the best of
my knowledge, Dakota has not had a real job
(working a 9-to-5 job somewhere, or working
outside the healing arts or spiritual world)
since the early 80s. He says that working in
an office or for other people is too constrict-
ing for him, and gets in the way of his spirit-
ual progress. So he tries the occasional
"business venture," but mainly he survives
because his friends pay for his life.

And now he's got a girlfriend. Lovely lady...I
used to know her in the Rama trip, when she was
a high-powered database consultant earning $200+
per hour on Wall Street. But now she's into the
whole "Let thy will be done" thing, too, and
hasn't worked for several years herself.

So -- on other people's money -- these two have
been in India for the last year studying at an
Indian teacher's school there. And they have been
enjoying it and posting glowing reports, in
between fighting illness and other such Indian
things. And the whole *idea* presented to their
supporters was that after their year of school-
ing they'd take their newly-learned act on the
road and use the knowledge to benefit others,
all of the karmic credit for this going to the
people who've paid for their lives these last
few years.

But now at the end of their studies they find
themselves with less than a hundred bucks in
their pockets and no plane tickets back to the
US. So they're faced with the prospect of having
to take a minimum one-year contract in Thailand
or China teaching English, in exchange for room
and board while there and a ticket home. Not
exactly the "world tour" they'd imagined.

But at the last minute God intervenes and they
have been invited to stay another year at the
guru's school, and so the call goes out for more
money to support this. The benefit is to them-
selves, of course, not to the world at large,
but they'll get back to the world and put some
energy back into the system Real Soon Now.

So here's my quandary. There is simply NO WAY
to argue with the success of Dakota's approach
to life. He hasn't had to work at a real job in
over two decades. God -- in the form of his friends
who have jobs -- pays for his life. Every time he's
down to nothing and sick as a dog in some Indian
ashram, someone comes through with the money to
buy antibiotics so he doesn't die. And they come
through with the money so that he can continue
his studies and keep learning important new infor-
mation to benefit the world. I have no problem
with this, and sometimes it inspires me just as
much as it obviously inspires him.

But at other times I just wonder about it all. It
reminds me of the not-wealthy-themselves Purusha
and Mother Divine people who have others paying
for *their* lives so that they don't have to work,
either. And it reminds me of all the gurus in
history who have managed things so that they don't
have to work. *Other people* work, and pay for their
lives, so that they can be all spiritual and all,
all for the greater benefit of the world, of course.

The fact that this "Let thy will be done...put my
trust only in God" thing WORKS for these people
is an amazement. The fact that it works at the
expense of other people who do work for a living
doesn't amaze me as much. On the one hand I'd love
to contribute to my friend's sadhana, because his
example is a never-ending inspiration of just what
a person can pull off if he trusts in the universe
to take care of him, and does nothing to take care
of himself. But on the other hand I cannot help
but notice that all of the glorious world tours
and the teaching to benefit others never seems to
happen, and what *does* happen is more and more
years of study *preparing* for the glorious world
tours, all on someone else's nickel.

I've written here before about the Cathars, and the
way that they worked things. Their priests -- an
equal number of men and women -- *worked* for a
living. They had jobs, just as the lay Cathars did.
None of the lay followers were ever expected to
support them or pay for the teachings. The teach-
ings were given for free, with the teacher/priests
contributing their time and energy, paying for
their own lives with their Day Jobs. I still think
that this is a pretty good model for spiritual
teaching.

I *understand* that centuries of tradition have
built up around the need for lay (non-monk, non-
special) followers to perform selfless service by
paying for the lives of the devout (monk, special)
gurus and teachers in their lives. I *understand*
that it feels good *to* contribute to these dedi-
cated people's sadhana, in an effort to put some
energy back into the system. But damn! sometimes
I just wish that the people who have been having
their lives paid for by others for years or decades
would put a little more of their *own* energy back
into the system, and not come up with excuses for
"just one more course."

Maybe it's a TM thing after all. Dakota was certainly
in that tradition; he got other people to pay for
"just one more course" for him for years while in
TM. With Rama, where most of the students had strong
careers and considered those careers a strong part
*of* their sadhana, he managed to get by by relying
on the kindness of strangers. Or friends, in this
case. He's done it ever since. He clearly intends
to keep doing it until he dies, and if it works for
him and brings him joy, I have nothing to say about
his choice of spiritual path.

But sometimes, like today, I just wish that from time
to time he'd think of paying for that spiritual path
himself, or at the very least decide one day that
"just one more course" was less important than "maybe
it's time to teach a few courses myself, and allow
others to benefit from all this knowledge I've gained
over the years." Even if that latter path requires
taking a Day Job.