On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 12:55:20 -0000, Héctor H. Louzao P. wrote:
> > As I look back at the traffic here from the last year, 95% of it is
> > introductions. I think those could certainly be in
> > https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/fun/8 instead — either as individual
> > posts in the #introductions tag, or added to the
> > https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/introduce-yourself/1875/ mega-thread.
> > Or, we could start a new one _specifically_ for Fedora Join.
>
> +1 I'm in with your IDEA but some advice here:
>
> we could start a new one _specifically_ for Fedora Join, has the same
> time for just say hey HELLO I'm here and I do this/that, is quite
> diferent to hey HELLO I would like to contribbute and I would like to
> be mentor in the community with the fedora newcomers workflow.

I was considering if we really need newcomers to send introductions as
part of the welcome to Fedora process to a specific mailing list or
forum at all. Folks can just do it on the ticket (most already do), and
then once they find where in Fedora they want to start, we usually ask
them to introduce themselves on the specific communication channel.

The current template was already modified to say this, and can be
further tweaked to say "a list" instead of "the list" etc.:

"Next, when you're ready, could you please introduce yourself
(preferably on the list) so that the community can get to know you?
(interests, skills, anything you wish to say about yourself really)"

I continue to worry about moving the Fedora Join channel to Discourse
because of the lack of separation between the communication channels for
different teams there. The whole point of having a separate one for
Fedora Join is to keep it isolated and away from the confusing jumble
that is the Fedora community. Having a different category or tag just
doesn't cut it. All the content there will still spook newcomers.

So my worry is that by moving this to Discourse, we become another
channel in the jumble there and no longer function as a protected area
for newcomers. :/

--
Thanks,
Regards,