On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 02:32:57PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> I was considering if we really need newcomers to send introductions as
> part of the welcome to Fedora process to a specific mailing list or
> forum at all. Folks can just do it on the ticket (most already do), and
> then once they find where in Fedora they want to start, we usually ask
> them to introduce themselves on the specific communication channel.
>
> The current template was already modified to say this, and can be
> further tweaked to say "a list" instead of "the list" etc.:
>
> "Next, when you're ready, could you please introduce yourself
> (preferably on the list) so that the community can get to know you?
> (interests, skills, anything you wish to say about yourself really)"

Can we make this be "on the team's mailing list or on Fedora Discussion with
the team's tag", with the latter linked to

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/new-topic?category=project&tags=introductions

> I continue to worry about moving the Fedora Join channel to Discourse
> because of the lack of separation between the communication channels for
> different teams there. The whole point of having a separate one for
> Fedora Join is to keep it isolated and away from the confusing jumble
> that is the Fedora community. Having a different category or tag just
> doesn't cut it. All the content there will still spook newcomers.

Well, let me back up a bit then. What is the list for, and who is it for? We
just covered that it shouldn't be for introductions (although like I said,
that's mostly what it seems to be). To me, that leaves three possibilities:

* Team discussion about the team's process, work, etc. I think this mostly
  happens in the chat channel, really? But, like, this thread. :)

  For this, I think https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/tags/c/project/7/join
  would really be ideal. (We could even configure the Matrix integration to
  send new topics to that chat room.)

* Announcements of opportunities — this is a whole big topic, but I guess
  the main thing is I don't see that happening very much here, and also I
  think it's something wider than just for newcomers. I'm not saying that's
  not right, just I'm not sure that this is doing it (and I think we
  actually can do that on Discourse if we want).

That leaves this:

> So my worry is that by moving this to Discourse, we become another
> channel in the jumble there and no longer function as a protected area
> for newcomers. :/

... which I will take only mock offense at — I've been working hard to make
it NOT a jumble! But I do take your point. There's a lot going on. I think
it's probably true that a tag isn't enough isolation, but I'm not sure why a
category set up to be separate couldn't provide that. But I am a little bit
unsure on the _what_ for this — how would that area (or this list even) be
different from those welcome-workflow tickets?

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>