On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 10:21:38PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> The introduction task was added there to familiarise folks with the
> mailing lists, just as the pagure ticket is also intended to familiarise
> folks with a ticketing workflow.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll wear my agenda on my sleeve here: I'd like to
get away from mailing lists being a requirement for Fedora participation. I
know devel list is still the center of the universe, so it's gotta be in
there, but... when is the last time _any_ of us saw an interesting open
source project and thought "yes, another mailing list to sign up for!"?

My kids don't even check their email unless I tell them to. It's like the
equivalent of going down the rural lane to a mail-box two miles from the
farmhouse or something. :)

> >   would really be ideal. (We could even configure the Matrix integration to
> >   send new topics to that chat room.)
> +1, a place there for our team discussion would work well.

So that's there and waiting :)

> The list is just an asynchronous counterpart to the Telegram/Matrix
> channel because the channels are not/cannot be always monitored.

Right. I, for one, am a big fan of this. So much easier to interact at one's
own life pace.

> Anything that happens on the channels can happen here. That includes
> the cases you've covered but with an important addition---it is a
> dedicated space for newcomers to ask *whatever they wish*.  But, it is
> not like any other community team channel---it is a protected space.
> "Newcomer?  Not feeling confident enough to post to the team's channel?
> No problem!  Post here! We're here specifically to answer your
> questions!" (Even if people are not using it for this purpose much, we
> do need to have it in place.)
>
> I don't think Discourse lets us keep this communication channel
> isolated/protected in the same way. For one, irrespective of whether it
> is a category or a tag, a user sees posts from *all* of Discourse on
> their landing page on discussion.fp.o. Even if we send folks to a
> category/tag, it's really easy to navigate away to other parts of the
> universe there. So, the excellent navigation features of Discourse are a
> good thing for users that want to keep up with multiple tags/categories,
> but not necessarily for newcomers who may find the large amount of info
> it exposes them to confusing/overwhelming to begin with.

I'm pretty confident we could theme a category to feel a more
protected in that way.

> A dedicated limited/filtered "view" that limits newcomers to our
> tag/category only would be ideal, but I'm not aware of a way that this
> can be done (without affecting other users and so on).

Wait, I want to take this to Discussion because I want to include a
screenshot. ... Please follow me to
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/creating-a-space-for-new-users-for-fedora-join/35713
to continue :)

I do agree with and understand the following part which I'm leaving here,
though:

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>