In a message dated 6/12/2005 2:24:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I don't mean to scare you, but it could be FIP.
Michelle,
Some years ago, one of my "fosters" developed a very high fever of unknown origin....
She was small too, but my vet did advise rubbing cotton swabs soaked w/ rubbing alcohol and dabbing them on her paws and behind her ears.
It did work very well refucing fever... When I rushed her to vet her temp was above 106.... we really thought we'd lose her.
She got IV fluids and was old enough for IV AB's.
Her abdomen was "slightly" distended, so among all other tests we did run the corona titres.
She came back w/ titre so high it was OFF the charts,
But. there are SO many corona viruses, you can not get a TRUE definitive diagnosis without a necropsy. And, she continued to improve, so that was totally out of the question.
At the time, I had many fosters, and I had another boy develop the FUO. However, his corona titres were within "normal" range.
Sadly, I did  lose 2 of my boys, most likely to FIP a year or so later..one wet, one dry.
I also refused necropsies because the damage was done and I did NOT want to panic living in a multi cat household.
Three years ago I did lose a tiny kitten to FIP, The shelter insisted on a necropsy & it was confirmed, My Sweet Little Magpie 1.
Luckily, she was never in with my other cats.
To this day, Meisha, the first girl w/ high corona titre, is very healthy and, although her titres remain high, she has not been sick since.
There is so much we do not know about FIP and I do beat myself up wondering if Meisha is a "carrier" of the deadly strain and if that played any part in the deaths of Oden and Dusty.
But, you just make yourself crazy second guessing..I wish you the best with your little bundle of joy.
Just give her vet care and ALL your love.
Hugs,
Patti