Yes, unfortunately kittens @ 12 weeks count as cats.

My boyfriend has the rule " Every set of pointy ears is this house is
considered a cat, regardless if it lives under the bed.".

Yes,folks, I even asked  But what if we never SEE the cat, it lives under the
bed, couch, etc........"

No luck.

However, when he used to work out of town a lot, I would ALWYS bring home a cat
or 2.
SometimesI wouldn'tget to talk to him for 2 weeks or so, since he would be "out
in the field" (on a dig) in Mexico or in the west Texas dessert, no cell phone
reception.

I always hoped that he "wouldn't recognize" the new cat(s).

W/kittens I always tried to foster litters that all "looked"alike, so that he
MIGHT not be able to count them.

THAT got blown outta the water when he was sitting on the couch one night and 3
little orage tabbies ran over him, one right after the other, chasing each
others' tails.

It was like that scene outta the Simpson's episode where the dog has
puppies..........Dooooooooo......!

Good luck w/your new kitty, Melissa, we all feel your pain..........

Susan J. DuBose  >^..^<
www.PetGirlsPetsitting.com
www.Tx.SiameseRescue.org
www.shadowcats.net