Edna, I agree. Four of our five cats were outside at some time in their
lives, 3 of those were feral, and 2 of *those* were kittens I trapped
myself, and they have not been outside since the day we met. Just because
they stare out the window sometimes doesn't mean they're longing for the
feel of grass beneath their toes -- though of course if there was a safe way
to give them that, I would. What PETA and the rest don't seem to get is that
Felis Domesticus is NOT a wild animal and is no match for the modern
predators of cars, trains, coyotes, and feral humans like the one you
describe below. People don't willingly let their parakeets out or let their
Betas swim in mud puddles, why do they think house cats are anything but
house cats. And, in my experience, even cats born outside get very used to
the comforts of indoors.

Years ago a couple who were online friends of mine whose two cats were their
babies, came home to find that a neighbor in their very tranquil suburban
neighborhood had accidentally backed over one of their cats. They were, of
course, devastated, and it changed their opinion of where cats are best off.
That's a horrible way to learn but it's a fact that outside cats, even ones
with owners, face many more dangers than they are equipped to handle.

Another 2 cents. I don't mean to offend those of you who don't agree, but
seeing roadkill that's supposed to be curled up in a pouffy chair somewhere
instead offends me.

Diane R.