I said that to my vet one time about the vaccine offering no protection at all
if given at the same time as surgery.  The vet agreed.  What could she say.  We
weren't talking about a specific pet though so there was no arguing but when I
said it to a vet tech one time it kind of shocked her and she finally stumbled
out that they just have to do it for the sake of liability, etc. just so they
can say they gave the shot.  We weren't talking about the rabies shot though so
I know she was just grasping at straws.  Matter of fact, I almost refuse to
have vaccinations done at the time of surgery because I am already worried
about the surgery weakening their immune system.  I get them done ahead of time
if at all possible.  Every situation is different and I get by with certain
things with certain vets because I've been in rescue for awhile.  But yeah,
most vets I know also won't do surgery without vaccinations.  My normal vet
won't even do surgery without the pre-surgery bloodwork.  That should be
optional not required.  Pissed me off when I found out about it.  It's not
required for Humane society fosters but for normal clients it is.

Regarding the cat needing to be neutered - many FeLV + cats get fixed and
recover okay.  I look at it like this - there's just no choice when it comes to
spay/neuter.  It's a necessary risk.  The animal will be miserable without the
surgery and will try to get out and might infect other cats.  Just don't do the
vaccinations like everyone else said.  If the kitty needs a rabies get it done
a couple weeks ahead if possible.