I've also read that there are several FeLV viruses. The virus that is
contagious is the "main" virus, while two other viruses arise within the
cat after the "main" virus interacts with the cat's DNA. So-called
FeLV-B is responsible for increased cancer risk while FeLV-C is
responsible for the kind of severe anemia we sometimes see.

In Ember's case, I'm wondering if those viruses were "made". When she
has had anemia, it's been very mild (discovered incidentally and not by
symptoms), so I'm not sure it was the type of anemia that FeLV can
convey. I think those viruses might not always arise in all FeLV cats,
as they rely on information already present in the cat's DNA.

I also think that we don't know enough about FeLV, so the "main" virus
may cause a lot of anemia we see, and the information I mentioned is
outdated.