Maybe the kitten took too much though.  Vets used to routinely prescribe valium for cats to get them to eat, for behavior problems, etc... Now it's not being used as much because (I think) it's hard on the kidneys.  I've still been given it in the past 2-3 years for specific occasions though, just not long term use.

I noticed though that though it calms some cats down, it seems to hype some up.  My various cats who have used it have reacted differently.  I think that's true of them, just as it is for people.

Also, we were given the ace promazine to try to get a young feral dog to the vet.  We ended up giving him double, then triple the amount, waiting all day, etc... before we could catch that dog.  It was awful.  But again, he was feral and didn't want to be caught.

Also, my sister who once was trapping a feral gave it some of her clonopin.  When it didn't work she gave her more until she trapped her.  That was years ago, and she still has it today.

I just think you have to look at the situation.  An overdose on clonopin was worth the risk to the cat's life to get it out of a bad situation.  When I was trying to trap my feral dog, Amy I gave her xanax (I think it was. Obviously all my family takes controlled substances. lol).  Anyway,  I gave her more and more and she would lay down and go to sleep, but when I would get within 2 feet of her she would get up and move out of my reach.  I tried all day to catch her and another time to herd her into a crate.

She was finally caught by animal control. No telling how traumatic that was.  I saw them 'catch' one of the ferals and throw it by the neck with the catch pole into the back of their truck.  But since she was less feral than the others, I went up and got her.  I had a hard time getting them to release her. It was such a mess.  But she's still here with me now, but still feral.  I can pet her if I have a treat in my hand, but that's about it.  Anyway, point being, in that situation, if I had overdosed her on the xanax it would have been a better situation for her than dying the way they do at animal control.

It's not something to use carelessly, but sometimes, you do what you can, because it's better than the alternative.

If I had an animal in distress, dying, and could not get to a vet in time,  I would give them something if I had it here to try to calm them.

And if I knew in advance I might be in that situation I would try to get something from the vet.