Oh my God, 600 cats! No wonder you had to order in bulk. Thanks,
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:

well, we were dosing 600 cats, remember, so.... we just figured out how many tablespoons-full a day, and distributed it amongst the water bowls.... clearly we couldn't give everyone their personal dose, nor really monitor the intake, but it worked, so...

MC

Nina wrote:

Do you remember what the mixing ratio was?
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:

i know i read a batch of articles that said that it WAS impossible to have too high a dosage because it's an essential amino acid, but since i never tried to overdose anyone, i can't guarantee that...

there IS some debate over whether it's okay to give it in water or not--people on the list might know more about that aspect of it. i know that no one told us NOT to, and i know of vets who have given it mixed in a syrup form (at $22.50 for a smaller-than-cough-medicine bottle!), so i think that it's probably fine mixed with liquid.

you can go on-line and find lower prices by the pound than the $14.99 (that's the NOW brand, and their national retail price); we were paying $8.99/pound from an online store, but you'd have to add in shipping then--but if you get enough, it might be worth it.

MC

Nina wrote:

MC,
Thanks for this post! I had no idea L-Lysine could be bought by the pound. If that price is right, it's soooo much cheaper. I love the idea of mixing it in their water supply. We have a lot of animals, drinking a lot of water around here, but I don't think it's possible to OD on Lysine. I'll have to check with my vet, but I love this idea! Could you please give us some details about how much Lysine per gallon, whether it dissolves in cold water, etc.?
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:

noticing that everyone is talking about capsules and stuff--go to your nearest health food store and buy it by the pound! it's $14.99 retail for something like 500 doses at the 250mg level. a lot of stores don't carry the powder, but can order it easily. (if you've got LOTS of money, or if someone wants to start up a small business, you can buy it by the 55# barrel, too.... )

and tho i've lost all my emails, addresses, resource links etc. and can't cite this, i recall someone posting awhile back that the california state vet association (i think) had mentioned at their annual meeting that ALL cats should get lysine, positive or not.

at the sanctuary, we gave it once daily--originally in their daily wet food, then we switched over to dissolving it in their water because not everyone ate the wet food--and saw an almost immediate reduction in symptoms.

MC

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have been giving Simon 250 mg (hal a tablet) of Lysine twice a day for a few weeks with his pred, and it has seemed to help him (he was sneezing a lot before that). I ran out and got more from the health food store, the only bottle they had left, and got home to find out it is 500 mg capsules-- rather large and obviously can't be split like a pill. he will not eat it in anything, and in fact is not eating at all this morning and I am wondering if it could possibly have to do with not getting any Lysine last night. My question is do you think it is ok to give him 500 mg at one time, once a day, rather than 250 twice a day? And if you think it is ok to pill him with what seems like a fairly large capsule. I have pilled him with half a tablet, fairly big but not as big as the capsule, just fine by covering it with Nutrical. Thanks,
Michelle