Patti,
I've got to say, I'm very pleased you decided to start talking again.  Thank you so much for the holistic tips.  I hate medicating with traditional medicine, the stuff is usually so toxic.  I'm a good nurse, but a very reluctant one.  Up until I found myself facing FeLV, I hadn't had to deal with that much illness in my rescue work.  I guess I was blessed and didn't even realize it.  I'm saving all your suggestions, I'm sure I'll need them at one point, or another.
Nina

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Nina,
I too am always looking at alternatives.......
Have come across some that have really been helpful. Like Felix, I NEVER thought we'd be able to control his IBD. And although he's not a positive, he's 19 and so frail. The tablets work like a charm and he doesn't even realize he's being medicated...they dissolve in his wet food. And he may be old & frail, but a real pistol to try to medicate! I'm always afraid I'm going to injure him, he puts up such a fight. And the old boy doesn't need the added stress.

Another GREAT tissue salt is NUX VOMICA, it's listed as being helpful in treating many disorders.
Two years ago I pulled a senior sheltie from a shelter in Ohio and he developed horrible kennel cough. I had found a wonderful placement for him, but the people had a 16 year old sheltie and were very cautious about over-vaccinating at her age. I didn't want Mickey to have to stay @ the shelter, for fear of spreading the kennel cough, even though all dogs are given the bordatella vaccine, it takes time to be effective, and sometimes requires a second vx. Since my dogs were all UTD I decided to "foster" Mickey until he got over the kennel cough and could go on to his furever home. Working w/ my regular vet, we tried everything!  Poor Mickey wasn't responding to any AB's & I was really getting concerned. After doing alot of research & talking w/ my holistic vet we decided to try the Nux Vomica, I did have my doubts....
But after only three days Mickey had gotten over the kennel cough and got a clean bill of health and was able to go "home".
After that experience, we treated dogs w/ kennel cough w/ the Nux Vomica rather than going the AB routine.

We also used the Bioplasma for anemia and as a supplement for our Felv+ residents.

When you think about it, these were the types of things used before pharmaceuticals came into the picture.
Sometimes I think we do more harm than good by using these modern drugs.

Good Luck,
Patti