I shoot with the following equipment:

Nikon F100 on a Gitzo 1227 carbon fiber tripod, using ASA 100 Fuji Superia
Nikon 20mm f2.8D
Nikon 24mm f2.8D
Nikon 28-70mm f2.8D Silent Wave
Nikon 85mm f1.4D
Nikon 105mm f2.8D Micro
Nikon 80-200 f2.8D

In your opinion, how might I improve my setup to get sharp pictures?

I have now scanned several recent Superia shots using the above equipment,
and several dozen five year old Kodachrome slides that under a Leica 5X
loupe on a light table look stunningly sharp, and they all turn out blurry
with the SS4000 (regardless of the DPI I scan them at) unless I apply
sharpness. They are not blurry after scanning on my old piece of junk HP
PhotoSmart. See my PhotoPoint album for an analysis of one of those slides:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=62684&a=9423313

See for yourself if you think this slide is blurry (even though of course in
1996 it was not taken on my Gitzo tripod and F100; it was taken with a Nikon
N90 with the Nikon 80-200 probably at f8 and hand-held in a seated, braced
position at 1/1000 of a second, knowing my shooting style back then and
given the blazing lighting of the circumstances (shot at 8,200 feet on a
clear day)).

> > the image will degrade if you scan it at a radically different
> resolution
> > than what you want to view it at, whether on the monitor or on
> a printer.
>
> Scan at full scanner DPI, and view the actual pixels.

Everything looks horribly blurry when I do that, a bunch of mush. I am also
viewing everything at 24 bit color on a razor sharp 21" Cornerstone monitor
(which uses the 81x series Hitachi tube) at 1856x1392 using the Matrox G400
Max video card at a 75Hz refresh rate (I am not pushing the video card at
all), so don't be tempted to blame my monitor setup.

What pixels are you talking about? At 1856x1392 and at a viewing distance of
18", the pixel size is beyond the limits of my eyes to resolve (whereas at
1600x1200 they are not). I think "viewing actual pixels" is irrelevant. What
I am seeing in my SS4000 scans are blurry boundaries where they should be
sharp (whether on the monitor or on a printed image using my HP 2000C
printer at highest quality on glossy paper), unless I use the sharpening
tool in the PolaColor Insight Software. Am I supposed to be doing that? If I
am, I wish someone would tell me that.

Frank Paris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Julie, female Galah (3 years)
Little Birdie, male Splendid Parakeet (13 years)
Snowflake, male cockatiel (12 years)