Bob writes ...

> Andrew, I'm curious if this will hold true if one performs
> color (and maybe tonal) editing operations on the file in
> the larger editing color space -- could that editing cause
> color to extend into areas present only in the larger
> space?  More particularly, if one opens a sRGB file into PS
> with sRGB work space, edits colors and tones and prints
> image on a good color printer; then opens the same file
> into PS with a larger-than-sRGB gamut space such as Adobe
> RGB converting file on open, performs the same color and
> tonal edits and prints the edited file: might the printed
> images appear different?

        I tried to respond to this issue last night with a real example ...
but it didn't apparently post ... or hasn't posted yet.

        In any case ... you can imagine the two color spaces, sRGB and
AdobeRGB, as "containers".  If you put a small device space into sRGB,
it might be described as a "snug fit" with little room to move or
expand.  If you put the small device space into AdobeRGB ... it is the
same colors in the container, but you now have more room to edit.  In
short, the answers to your questions are 'yes'.  Regarding a previous
post of mine about the utility of putting a small device space into a
larger, and not being able to see what you're doing while the display
falls short of the gamut ... you may still find the larger space
useful if you're familiar with it and it works well with your printer.

        (... now, let's see what happens to this message ... different
computer, same server ...)

cheerios ... shAf  :o)