On 10.05.2002 0:29 Uhr, shirling & neueweise wrote

> all comments relate to F2001...
>
>> Johannes:
>> You should consider using System reduction instead of page
>> reduction. Page reduction will always change the position of
>> textblocks on the page depending on the reduction value.
>
> not when the page reduction size is the same for score and parts and
> system reduction is used _only_ in the score.   i often have to
> reposition title page text blocks in parts in any case.   also:

Right, since the text block positioning depends on the page reduction % the
same reduction will place the text blocks at the same place. But don't dare
to change it, your page numbers will move.

> . when generating files through the setup wizard, the page reduction
> is set automatically according to the number of instruments vs. page
> size.   using fixed point sizes for title page and page number text
> blocks should be used in such a context.

This is new to me.

> . when a 'redefine pages' is done, all system reductions are reset
> to 100% and the page reduction to a default which can be set by the
> user in the "page format for score" options.

This is no longer true for Fin2k2.

> . by your system, i would have to reset the *system* % reduction to
> my preference AFTER extracting parts [and for EACH part!], task which
> is completely avoided by my present method.   i don't have that kind
> of time to lose 8^)

This is handled differently for Fin2k2 and the problem doesn't any longer
exist such. However, the Wizard is still a problem as it will set both Score
and Parts Format to the same. But you only have to change it once for all
parts. This is not a problem if you are starting from the default file and
not the Wizard.

> my point relates to the sizes of text etc across scores and parts and
> between different scores/projects.   it really isn't enough of a
> concern of mine how someone else "pronounces pa-tait-er" to argue the
> point; i have my own default file and haven't used a
> finale-factory-generated default in more than three years.
>
> my reasoning for the use of fixed point size for text blocks was to
> assist the non- to semi-professional user [or anyone who may use a
> finale-generated default or template] to assure some consistency of
> title page and page number appearance throughout their work.
>
> the use of fixed point sizes for title page and page number text
> blocks benefits the user who employs page reduction, and won't even
> be noticed by the user who uses system reduction exclusively.

There is one  problem I can see with fixed point sizes: It will no longer be
possible to convert A4 scores to A3 and vice versa. But perhaps there are
too many other problems anyway.

Whatever, I think the future should definitely go towards system reduction,
which will avoid a number of problems.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com