On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 03:25  PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

>> Also, I personally haven't had a problem with text block
>> placement using page reduction since I started putting page
>> text blocks (i.e. headers and footers) OUTSIDE the margins.
>> 'Nother thing is that I get better results with staff spacing.

> Hmmmm. That's an interesting idea.

The idea is to have elasticity at the outermost level possible
and that there's really two main margin rectangles: the
PageMargins and the MusicMargins. Of course this is only
conceptual, but we can imagine that our header and footer
vertical placements extend to some maximum outset from the
MusicMargins--i.e. the PageMargins. Fortunately, because Finale
allows us to have placements for these text blocks relative to
the margins, and the margins are in turn set relative to the
page size, a reflow under these conditions will keep everything
looking good. In addition, because we now have no page text
blocks inside the MusicMargins, Finale has one less problem to
consider when dealing with staff spacing. Lastly, I don't see
how this scheme prevents one from using either system or staff
reduction to take care of things as the occasion may arise.

One final note might be that as you previously mentioned, it's
important to be able to spend the hour deciding whether or not
it's gonna be Dm7 or Dm7b5. Much more than to spend it tweaking
page elements when changing from portrait to landscape at
different page sizes.

Best wishes,

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca