Christopher wrote:

>OK, I've had a bunch of feedback on this item, which I thought was
>simply a humourous way of pointing out that students don't ALWAYS
>want what they THINK they want. If someone REALLY wants a passage to
>sound a certain way, more power to him, and I can help him with that.

Agreed, within reason.  And also agreed that what is conventional should
not necessarily be a limiting factor, IF the unconventional has musical
validity.  I doubt that Stravinsky consulted with a bassoonist before
writing that amazing opening solo in flute range!

On the other hand, a thorough knowledge of the mechanics can help avoid
embarrasment.  So far, in the cello book for "Guys & Dolls," we've found at
least one low Bb.  There's an orchestrator who missed the class on ranges
of stringed instruments!  Possible?  Sure, if the player's willing to tune
down a whole step and the conductor's willing to put up with the sound of
his doing so.  Likely?  No way!

John

P.S.  It's really getting to be a drag to have to paste in the list address
for every reply.  Did the problems with the new server ever get worked out,
and would it be possible to reset for automatic reply to the list?

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411   Fax (540) 231-5034