At 2:00 PM -0500 6/26/02, John Howell wrote:

>On the other hand, a thorough knowledge of the mechanics can help avoid
>embarrasment.  So far, in the cello book for "Guys & Dolls," we've found at
>least one low Bb.  There's an orchestrator who missed the class on ranges
>of stringed instruments!

Yes, I know the book. I assumed the original key was a tone (or more)
higher, then they had to transpose it for someone new, and the
copyist was told "Make us a new one a tone lower." These things are
put together so incredibly fast that it's easy for something like
that to slip through, especially when the job is not supervised by
the original person.

>P.S.  It's really getting to be a drag to have to paste in the list address
>for every reply.  Did the problems with the new server ever get worked out,
>and would it be possible to reset for automatic reply to the list?

You can "reply to all", which I do in Eudora by holding down the
shift key when I reply, then both the list AND the person who sent
the message gets a copy. You'll probably read this message twice, but
it's more certain if you decide to unsubscribe one day.

Christopher