I think the point is that if the pitch is entered as a Gb and then
changed to F#, that Finale would be expected to interpret all subsequent
instances of that midi key being pressed (in the same measure) as F#
instead of Gb.

The ctrl-accidental method is after all the pitches are entered, and it
would turn every G to Gb, but it doesn't enharmonically respell anything.

The problem would arise, however, if the suggestion is implemented, of
the reverse behavior (having do redefine some F# as the originally
interpreted Gb) occuring in pieces where the harmony may well shift from
a D-major chord to a C-diminished chord within the same measure.  So the
same behavior that is needed now would still be needed, just in a
different piece of music.

I don't think it is possible to get a computer program to interpret a
midi note number successfully in all situations, even within the same piece.

--
David H. Bailey