On 13.10.2002 3:18 Uhr, David H. Bailey wrote

> Speaking as a conductor, I like to see in my score just what the player
> sees in the part.  That way there is no confusion, I know exactly what
> the player is looking at and we can sort out any problem from there.  I
> would hate to have the bass clarinet part in the score be written in
> bass clef at sounding pitch while the actual part is transposed to Bb
> and written in treble clef a major 9th up.

Absolutely. Just imagine the nightmare in the orchestra pit, when the
conductor asks "are you playing a B flat or a B natural there", and the
clarinetist starts trying to work out what the hell the conductor is talking
about, "do you mean that C - (it is a C isn't it?)?" - Conductor, trying
hard not to embarass himself: "C... C, that right, that C (are they playing
B flat clarinets, or A clarinets...) could be a... hang on, I just work this
out...don't worry, I'll look at it later...".

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de