I said:

> >So it would seem that, in the order of perfection of informational
transfer,
> >we would have to say that the least perfect is notation, then memory, and
> >then recording.

And Christopher replied:

> Assuming, it would seem, that perfection is the goal, rather than an
> interesting and distinctive rendition. I think there you lost my
> support, at least in general terms for all music.

Instead of memory, I should have said "live performance", since all folk
music only ever existed during a live performance. And in general it has
been argued that all music only exists to be played/listened to. The notes
on the page are only a carrier, a time machine of sorts.

The goal, according to my understanding, is putting the music into a form in
which it is transported. In written notes, it is transported silently, a
sort of cacoon which can be interpreted and brought to many forms of life.
In a live performance it is transported in the way it just happens to come
out that evening. In a recording, the carrier is precise: there are no other
factors other than the waveform of the composition. This waveform can be
transported losslessly to x numbers of players, radio stations, etc.

Question is, do we not, as humans, enjoy this very "fuzziness" of music
notation? Its very inability to give us 100% of the content is what we
praise when we say that Beethoven was a genius. Beethoven gave us things to
interpret, meat to digest. What if he only left us with a bunch of his own
home-ripped audio-CD's?

So yes, perfection is definitely the goal, but we don't like people, even
geniuses, defining it for us. Except, of course, when that "genius" is our
idol pop-star...

> Summed up in the
> musician's mind, it's a comparison between "what does the creator of
> this work want to happen?", "what do I as a performer want to
> happen?", and "what does the audience want to happen?"

Now this is one of the most beautiful all-encompassing statements I have
heard about music genres in a long time! Beautiful!

And summed up in the audience's mind:"What did the composer mean when he had
this guy do this?" , "What is this guy doing?", and "Don't ask questions,
just keep moving your head!"

Liudas