----- Original Message -----
From: John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Or perhaps more simply, a blueprint from which the real music must be
> constructed or reconstructed.

> But music, like dance and theater, is a recreative art.  It is their
nature
> to be constantly recreated, and therefore dancers and actors and musicians
> must be trained to do so with skill and artistry.  Painting, sculpture,
> architecture, and prose are creative arts; once finished they are
finished.
> Poetry stands somewhere in between, since in some cases it can also be
> newly realized in performance.

Yours was a very precise analogy, I think.

The architect's blueprint for the real building.
vs.
Music notation as a blueprint for the real music.

Walk around the finished building, or go inside it.
vs.
Play the music and think about it.

Take a picture of the building from one vantage point and look at that.
vs.
Record the piece of music and listen to that.

> Given a definitive recorded performance, the music has now become
> non-recreative, just a finished product, and to me (given my prejudices as
> a musican) that is a terrible shame.  As an arranger, part of my job is to
> be able to envision a piece of music in different contexts.  But most
> people hear a recording and assume that the arrangement is the song, and
> even resent a different arrangement of it.

They have been looking at the photograph whereas you have been looking at
the blueprint.

Ironically, today's new pop releases are released from the very outset in
about 12 differently arranged styles: I'm not familiar with their exact
names but they go something like house, beat, dance, cover, rage, etc. This
is an effort to maximise sales by offering something for every possible
taste, like artificial flavouring in packaged, processed food.

Liudas