At 10:51 PM -0500 1/30/03, Darcy James Argue wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 09:16  PM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

On a related topic:

I am trying to create an audio CD of some RealPlayer files on my Mac G4. Even though the suffix is .mp3, the file creator shows up as RealPlayer, and QuickTime won't play them.
Right-click (or control-click, if you're still using the default mouse), choose "Open with..." and select QuickTime Player. It may not show up as a recommended choice, but you should be able to force it to open the file. If it plays back in iTunes, it should play back in QuickTime Player as well, as they use the same engine.

Hmm, "open with..." is not one of the options in OS 9.2.2. I can only "open", and RealPlayer is what opens it. Neither dragging onto the QuickTime icon nor opening from inside QuickTime Player will play these bogus .mp3s.

Also, I realised that I never tried to play them from inside iTunes, so I tried, and they play back with the same distorted garbage and stuttering that I heard on the CD.

Also, when I tried to import them into ITunes (OS 9 version), they all showed up OK, and burned to CD without an error message, but the CD plays back with unlistenable garbage along with the audio. I strongly suspect that they are NOT true .mp3s according to Hoyle.

Is there any utility that you know of that will make RealPlayer audio into AIFF files so I can make a playable CD?
Amadeus II <http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=7392&db=mac> should do the trick, if QuickTime Pro fails.

Tried it. Same problem as QuickTime and iTunes. As I said, I suspect that the RealAudio .mp3's are not strictly adhering to the spec; there is some proprietary component that makes it impossible to play the file except with RealPlayer. Anybody have any insights here? Other than wiring my sound out to sound in and re-recording each one (over 50!) individually?

Thanks for the help

--
Christopher