It sounds like you have not applied any music spacing routines. That's one
of the things they are good for. Click Mass Mover tool > Select All (Edit
menu or key combo) > press the 3 key (beat spacing) or 4 key (note spacing;
this is what I use) > Update Layout. This will adjust everything to account
for all elements, including lyrics.

Don't mess with Fit Music or changing fonts to try and help this. In fact,
you need to return everything to how you originally had it before doing what
you did, then do the above routine.

There is a natural limit, of course, to what Finale can do in terms of
making room for lyrics on staves that simply have too many measures in them.
Hopefully your eye will tell you that, as other elements will look a little
crowded also.

--Richard