At 2:32 AM 06/10/03, Darcy James Argue wrote:

>Make sure you wait at least a couple of weeks.  The web is ablaze with
>rumors of the long-awaited 64-bit PowerPC 970 (AKA the G5) being
>introduced at the WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) in two weeks'
>time.  You'll definitely want one of those babies.

For the first three months or so I'm going to be constantly on the road, so
I definitely need some sort of notebook.  The hope is that when I finally
settle down again I can hook it up to a real monitor and real keyboard and
have it be my regular home computer.

Other than that, my needs aren't that complicated.  I just need the usual
stuff done well.

There was a discussion of Mac notebooks on this list a few months back.  I
was planning to hit the Google groups to find it.  Does anyone remember a
subject line or other keyword that might help me?

I can wait a few weeks (probably will anyway, due to procrastination), but
it can't be much more than that, since I leave at the end of the month.

[me]
>> For an
>> orchestra score with one system per page it would be an entirely
>> different
>> procedure, which I have no direct experience with. (Though it seems
>> that
>> wouldn't be so hard either....)

[Darcy]
>Well, it kind of is.  At least, I should say, I haven't yet figured out
>a way of doing this -- making sure the bottom staff line appears in
>*exactly* the same vertical position on every page of the score -- that
>isn't a colossal pain in the ass.  I know in theory it could be done
>with the page margins, which I *do* use as a rough guide -- but while
>it's easy to get it right within a few points (which I always do), it's
>much harder to nail it to the very EVPU.  And I guess to be honest,
>it's not *that* important to me anyway.  What's a few EVPUs between
>friends?  If any of this stuff were ever destined for publication, I
>might get more anal about it, but it's not.

I assume you must be talking about scores where there's a different
reduction on each page, right?  Otherwise it's rudimentary.  Just go into
Staff Usage for the bottom staff and plug in the same number each time.

>I would still need to do a lot of moving the staves around in TGTools
>-- and, like others, I *really* wish there were a shortcut for dragging
>down *all* staves below the selected staff, short of drag-enclosing the
>bottom handles -- but this would expedite the "easy" orchestral pages
>tremendously.

I agree with the request that there be a shortcut way to change all staves
below a selected staff, except that I want to enter a number rather than
drag.

mdl