I think that the examples that Darcy gives are more the rule than the exception. Just glancing at some scores of large orchestral works and operas from eminent publishers such as Schott, Boosey, Universal and Bärenreiter, I can't find a single one where the staff sizes don't change. I think the point is that, usually, they don't change "dramatically", but rather "undramatically": the differences in staff size are not so great as to be immediately evident. If you need 24 staves on just a few pages of a score, there's no point in making all the staves on the other pages (where you might only need 16 or 18) just as small. This is just one of the old engraving tricks which help to make good-looking, readable scores. (And don't forget: most Dover scores are straight reprints of Peters and the like)

Michael Cook