On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 09:36 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

C'mon Darcy - I can also cite many pages where there IS consistent size
proportions from page to page

Well, yeah. I considered that too obvious to mention. It's just a given that most scores have a default staff height, which is expanded or contracted as necessary.

 -  but you've missed the point - I consider your
examples to be the exception and not the rule

It's a pretty commonplace exception. I could have cited dozens more pages from each of those scores, and many others besides. And of course, it depends on your definition of "dramatic"... The B&H edition of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra I mentioned (which I *would* consider an example of "fine music engraving", along with many of the original sources Dover uses) has staff heights ranging between (roughly) 4 and 5 mm -- with 5 mm being the default. The page-to-page variation is usually fairly subtle by my standards, but certainly *a lot* more than the +/-3% Andrew allows. And sometimes, yes, there are "dramatic" fluctuations, occasionally even on facing pages. You may not like it (obviously you and Andrew agree on this), and that's fine. But I don't see how you can seriously claim this sort of thing is anomalous or unusual.

"Where did I get the idea"... indeed.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"