On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 12:27 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

For orchestral work I set 250 EVPU as my starting value--pretty much the same as you. As work proceeds in scroll view, I englarge the gaps as needed, without worrying too much about how much space will be required in page view, so that only a small minority of passages show interstaff collisions. When I get to page view, I apply whatever page reduction is necessary to get it all on the page. After that, only the few places where I allowed collisions to stand in scroll view need to be adjusted in page view.

Hmmm. But doesn't this result in rather irregularly placed staves by default? If you have (for example) dragged the bassoon staff (and everything below it) down in scroll view to avoid collisions with the bass clarinet, when you switch to page view that extra-large gap between staves appears on every system, not just those that need it. It may be that, for instance, only 30% of the systems needed the extra room between those two staves, and the other 70% of systems would have been just fine with a 250 EVPU gap.

It seems like your method would result in many systems with larger-than-necessary gaps between staves. Or am I missing something here?

- Darcy

That's why I'm not dogmatic about it, but leave the most extreme collisions (very high bassoon vs. very low bcl., in your example) to work out in page view. That way I find that the gap differential is not all that great, and in the (relatively rare) places where it is--well, gaps can be narrowed in page view just as easily as they can be widened. Also, the ordinary process of optimization removes a lot of places where an obtrusive gap betw. empty staves might otherwise appear.

Finally, if a really big gap appears to be necessary in scroll view, I tend to regard that as evidence of lazy engraving on my part. Should I maybe put the bassoon in treble clef for that measure? How about if I make a little extra horizontal space for that dynamic mark rather than squeezing it into a restricted vertical space? How about flipping some stems, or shortening them? Flipping a slur. Moving an articulation. etc.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/