On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 12:27 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

When you speak of moving "staves" I assume you mean systems. If you really do mean staves, most of the vertical adjustment between staves should have been done in scroll view before even starting the real layout. It should seldom be necessary to drag staves very far at the layout stage.

Really? How far apart do you place staves by default in scroll view in an orchestral score? Obviously, Finale's default of 80 points is much too large a gap. I tend to use 60 points (240 EVPUs) as my default topline-to-topline distance, but that means *a lot* of dragging -- or, actually, adjustments in Staff List Manger -- to compensate for high and low notes, slurs, hairpins, expressions (especially sfz's), beams -- all that stuff. Sure, I could set a wider default gap in scroll view, but then I'd have to set the default system reduction to a much smaller size. And all of the orchestral scores I own use even smaller topline-to-topline distances by default.

- Darcy

For orchestral work I set 250 EVPU as my starting value--pretty much the same as you. As work proceeds in scroll view, I englarge the gaps as needed, without worrying too much about how much space will be required in page view, so that only a small minority of passages show interstaff collisions. When I get to page view, I apply whatever page reduction is necessary to get it all on the page. After that, only the few places where I allowed collisions to stand in scroll view need to be adjusted in page view.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/