At 4:46 AM -0400 6/14/03, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Hi Philip,

Actually, at this time Apple is not interested in hearing from any more indie labels, let alone the artists themselves. They invited a "select" reps from 150+ of indie labels for the conference with Steve Jobs on June 5th, but it was definitely an "invitation only" event. They may add more indie labels at some later date if they get a good response from the 150+ indies they already asked to participate.

That said, since *anyone* can sell their CDs via CDBaby, I expect once that "label" is added to the iTunes Music Store, anyone who sells through CDBaby will have the option of having their tracks added to the iTMS

Also, the CDBaby rep I guess didn't realize that this meeting with Jobs was supposed to be confidential, because he posted detailed notes on the CDBaby web site. He had to pull them a few hours later, at Apple's request. Of course, they were widely disseminated on the web before he had to take them down, and there are archives everywhere. Here's a copy of his comments -- it's interesting reading:

Wow, that's fantastic! Great notes! I can only imagine what this is going to do for internet music! I often said that I would gladly pay a buck or two per song to be able to download a tune I needed, when I needed it. Just the research and travel alone is worth that over calling record stores and making treks and paying $20 for a CD that I only need a tune from.

But I wonder what this is going to do to Apple Computer's agreement with Apple Records not to enter into the music business? 8-)