At 8:53 PM 06/23/03, David W. Fenton wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I wasn't entirely clear on what you were trying
to achieve, but I think I see now.

Here is the key issue:

>It would have been relatively easy for me to have chopped off the
>notes at the end of the measure with Finale, but the real problem is
>with the imprecision of the pedal markings. There is simply no way to
>get them in the place you want them:
>
>- if you used note-attached pedal marks, they occur on the beat
>(i.e., after the rolled notes have already sounded).
>
>- if you use measure-attached pedal marks, you have only the most
>imprecise control over where they take effect (even at 400%!).

You can have complete control over where a measure-attached pedal mark
takes effect.  There are two keys to making this work, and I'm not sure
which you're missing:

(1) To place a measure expression horizontally shift-click it [*] to get to
the Measure Expression Assignment. Enter whatever number you like for the H
position. For best rhythmic precision change the unit to EDUs

(2) When you need careful placement of pedal playback, use separate
expressions for the aural and visual aspects.  Make one expression which
has no playback effect, which you can attach however you like to make it
appear right on the page. Then make a second one with the playback
definition using angle brackets so that nothing prints, and place that one
exactly where you want it rhythmically. (Most of the time, note-attached
pedal marks are fine, but for unusual situations, separating the visual
from the aural is the key to making it both look and play right.)

By the way, a measure expression set at a horizontal position of zero or
less will sustain all the notes of a rolled chord, even if they precede the
downbeat.  I just tested this and it works, so if your rolled chord is on
the downbeat of a measure that makes it even easier.

>If Finale really attached the note expression to the bottom note,
>even if that note comes early, then the problem would be taken care
>of.

I just tested this, too, and on my file, a note attached pedal mark does
indeed catch all the notes of the chord, even the ones that play before the
beat.  I wonder what the difference is between yours and mine.  Are you
attaching the pedal mark to the same chord that the rolled chord is
attached to?

mdl

[*] on Mac. I don't know if it's a different keystroke on Windows.