At 11:04 AM 06/24/03, David W. Fenton wrote:

>Sorry, but my eyes glaze over whenever EDUs are involved. It makes
>absolutely no sense to me, and I have absolutely no understanding of
>what they do or how they work. That's why I basically completely
>ignore them any time I see them -- it is an interface that makes no
>musical sense.

Well, to each his own. You complained that one can't place a measure
expression precisely. In fact, you can; you just don't like using the
units. OK.

I think Finale would do well to add more options for choice of units for
any think that requires a rhythmic value.  Just like you can choose inches,
picas, points or EVPUS for unit of distance, you could choose wholes,
halves, quarters, eighths, etc., in place of EDUs for unit of time. So
instead of saying 512 EDUs, you could say 1 eighth, 0.5 quarter, 0.125
whole, etc.  I can't imagine that would be too difficult for them to
implement. I think that's a reasonable feature request. It changes nothing
for those who are comfortable with EDUs, and it makes it easier for those
who aren't.

>That was not happening at all.
>
>What controller are you using? Sustain pedal (64)?

Yes.

>> I just tested this, too, and on my file, a note attached pedal mark does
>> indeed catch all the notes of the chord, even the ones that play before the
>> beat.  I wonder what the difference is between yours and mine.  Are you
>> attaching the pedal mark to the same chord that the rolled chord is
>> attached to?
>
>Yes, absolutely. The note-attached pedal marks do not start until the
>beginning of the beat, not with the rolled notes.

This is very strange.  I wonder why yours and mine aren't the same.  On my
tests, when you start a sustain simultaneously with a rolled chord, the
playback figures that all the notes of the rolled chord should be included,
even if they start playing before the beat.  I think we both agree that's
how it should be, and it sounds like if yours worked like mine all your
complaints would be addressed.

I'm on FinMac2k2.  I'm just using the plain computer speaker playback, not
exporting to a MIDI device, but I don't think that should make a
difference.

If you want to create a small file that works wrong on yours and send it to
me, I can try it out on mine and see if I can find the difference.

mdl