At 03:54 PM 8/8/03 +0200, Davo van Peursen wrote:
>Take it easy.....
>Why should we be disappointed or even furious?
>Don't forget that estimated 70% of the use of Finale is illegal.
>It is copied on music schools etc.
>So far Finale did survive with their unprotected policy.
>But it is wise to protect the software.
>Forcing illegal customers to pay.
>Finale is still a cheap program compared to Sibelius.
>And all the new features are very promising
>and deserves our loyal support.

Dit is gek.

Within days, if not hours, of the new version being out, there will be
cracks available.

The only people penalized are legal users, who have to put up with being
victims, or at best buy the program and download the cracked version.

And Finale may be 'cheap' compared with some other programs, but it is
mostly a financial loss for me. As a composer, I don't get academic
pricing, and I've bought every upgrade (except Finale 98).

Someone else said that comparable programs in other areas have protection.
Here are just some of what I have purchased *without* copy protection, but
just registration: Pagemaker 7, Sonar 2, Cool Edit Pro 2, Paint Shop Pro 8,
Microsoft Office 97, Video Factory 2, Movie Factory 2, and dozens of
smaller programs such asWS_FTP Pro, LiveSynth Pro, Font Creator, Babylon
Translator, McAfee Virus Scan, Opera, IBM Home Page Reader, Systran,
Partition Magic, Adobe Type Mananger, two versions of American Heritage
Dictionary, and a bunch of VST/DX plugins. Not a single one of my -- just
counting them now -- 56 pieces of currently active commercial (i.e., paid
for) software on my desktop is victimware.

At 04:04 PM 8/8/03 +0200, Tobias Giesen wrote:
>See, you're still in last decade. Your choice. Personally, I cannot
>afford to work with obsolete tools.

I'm not a tech junkie, and my tools are not obsolete. I will moving most of
my day-to-day work to Linux if Microsoft doesn't modify their
hands-in-pants registration. I've still got another year of Win98SE
support, and if you can show me one thing that I need to do on XP that I
can't do on 98SE, go ahead. Oh yeah ... Windows Media Encoder 9. Gosh, now
there's a reason to let MS play with me!

At 10:06 AM 8/8/03 -0400, ÉQ==ric Dussault wrote:
>I hope there will be people standing up against all this whining! From what
>I have seen, there is no way to compare that scheme with that of Finale 98.
>You buy your software, then register it. Software companies HAVE to find
>ways to prevent illegal copies of their softwares and god knows how many
>there are. We choose to take the legal way because it is fair, and because
>we want MakeMusic to continue their research to make Finale a better
>software. I see Dennis's post as HUGELY OVERREACTING. I also see some
>hypothetical problems if Coda stops to support 2004 but our plug-ins
>developpers have always provided solutions to things Finale cannot do and am
>confident that if EVER it comes to that we'll find a way through. Wasn't it
>clear that you have to register ONCE and then the computer remembers that
>code even if it is reformatted. At least it's the way I understand it. If
>you ever have to work temporarily on someone else's computer, you CAN do it
>with all the features enabled for a whole month. Pirat copies of software is
>a HUGE problem and the solution here is nothing to disturb me in the way I
>normally work.

I am not hugely overreacting. If you want overreaction, talk to me
off-list. :)

First of all, cracks will be there ASAP. The only penalty is to legal
users. That point was already made, and you helped make it above when
suddenly you had to fall back on a user community for future support
because you *know* Makemusic is going to sandbag you and you're already
mentally getting ready for it.

And maybe *you* have to register once. But how do you suppose they validate
these registrations? They're linked to something, and at some point that
software is going to blow up and you'll be stuck. As for me, I am in a
constant state of upgrade, I carry my programs around on pull-out drives
and put them in whatever computer I'm working with, with multiple boot
versions. How many times do you think Makemusic will allow me to
re-authorize every week? Right.

And -- here's the most important part that makes me mistrust them for
future behavior and honesty: Makemusic TRIED TO DISGUISE WHAT THEY WERE
DOING. You *know* there's a problem when they play with words, saying
there's "no copy protection" when even Jari said right off that there was
copy protection.

Dennis