On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:37 PM, BlueScreen wrote:

Thank you to all who responded. It looks very useful for viewing scores,
specifically. Interesting that the new G5s ship with this option enabled in
the OS.

Actually, it's *not* enabled in the OS (so far). It is enabled in the (third-party) ATI Displays control panel, and so far it only works with the ATI's Radeon 9800 video card. In fact, if you get the OEM Radeon 9800 in your G5 (available as a $350 build-to-order option), you may even have to download the ATI drivers and control panels separately to enable this functionality.

[It's a complicated situation... Apple maintains the drivers for the video cards that are included in the Macs they sell. In fact, those drivers are embedded into the OS. Meanwhile ATI maintains the drivers for their retail products. Since the Radeon 9800 is available in *both* OEM and retail versions, OEM customers can choose which set of drivers they want to use, Apple's built-in drivers or ATI's drivers (the retail drivers work just fine with the OEM card). And so far as I know, only the ATI retail drivers (+ control panel) support display rotation. That may change soon, though -- I guess we'll have to wait and see.]

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA