On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Philip Aker wrote:

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 10:36 US/Pacific, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:37 PM, BlueScreen wrote:

Thank you to all who responded. It looks very useful for viewing scores, specifically. Interesting that the new G5s ship with this option enabled in the OS.

Actually, it's *not* enabled in the OS (so far).

I'd like to get really clear on this myself. Somehow, after following a few of the links suggested, I was left with the impression that it was supported as of OS X 10.2.5 (provided one has a card which avails itself of the supported features of course).

No. The screen rotation is enabled through the ATI Displays control panel, a third-party utility which is included along with the drivers for the retail version of the ATI Radeon 9800. So far the feature (called "Versavision") is only supported on that specific video card, through the ATI Displays control panel. Right now, there is no direct support for screen rotation in 10.2.5, 10.2.6, or any other edition of Mac OS X.

However, some reviews of the 9800 make it sound like the screen rotation is exploiting an unsupported (by Apple) feature in Quartz Extreme. So it's possible we may see other third parties exploiting this same feature, or eventually, direct support by Apple. But so far, the ATI solution is the only one out there.

You can see a picture of the control panel in action if you download the manual for the Radeon 9800 from ATI's website.

G5s seem to be running Jaguar 10.2.6.

The G5s are running 10.2.7 (which of course has not been released to the rest of us yet).

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA